YYYY-MM-DD - NEXT¶
Everything is a draft. Everyone can contribute.
Tip: Embed an image, e.g. from a YouTube video. This will be taken for social preview rendering.
[![GitLab Agent for Kubernetes Go Profiling](https://img.youtube.com/vi/XCqiMeeoaYQ/0.jpg)](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCqiMeeoaYQ)
👋 Hey, lovely to see you again¶
Recamp of DevOps Camp Nuremberg: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-com/marketing/corporate_marketing/corporate-marketing/-/issues/6903
Open Source Automation Days, KCD Munich
☕ Hot Topics¶
The eBPF spectrum:
- Networking & Security
- DDoS mitigation
- Application Performance Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Network load-balancing
- Runtime Security
- Application Tracing
- Network Observability
- eBPF for Networking
- eBPF Programming and Internals
- eBPF in the Real World
- eBPF for Security
I'm interested in eBPF because
- I work on the eBPF verifier
- I want to understand the buzz
- I need to understand the potential
- I want to get involved
- My tool/company uses eBPF
- It's part of my team/customer conversation now
- I'm a beekeper and got lost
- I love Cilium
Rust & BPF same goal: Safe kernel programming Portable programs, stable interfaces Extending C language with assertions Run sleepable BPF programs as fibers in the Kernel 🔥
30:00 Kickoff, eBPF themes and use cases 42:00 The Future of eBPF in the Linux Kernel 57:00 Q&A 1:02:02 Multi-cluster networking with Cilium at Form3 1:13:37 Q&A 1:19:10 Large Scale Cloud Native Networking and Security with Cilium/eBPF 1:33:00 eBPF - The Capital Market's Perspective 1:59:50 Welcome back after the break 2:00:59 Cilium Standalone XDP L4 Load Balancer 2:13:56 eBPF, a road to invisible network: S&P Global's Network Transformation Journey 2:56:15 When you need to overcome your fear and build your own data-driven eBPF firewall 3:12:32 Troubleshooting and healing networks with eBPF 3:17:57 IO latency monitoring using eBPF 3:24:20 Improving Cilium's eBPF-based DSR performance by adding support for IP-in-IP 3:29:40 The promise of eBPF for the edge 3:44:23 Capture the Flag (CTF) 4:00:43 eBPF: Innovations in cloud native 4:25:52 Q&A 4:30:34 eBPF and Cilium at Google 4:34:40 Q&A 4:48:53 Closing
24:12 Welcome 33:12 Buzzing across the EBPF Landscape and into the Hive 45:43 Q&A 51:50 All Your Queues Are Belong to Us: Debugging and Mitigating a Kernel Bug with eBPF 1:07:02 Q&A 1:20:42 Securing systems with eBPF Linux Security Module 1:35:55 Securing the IoT with eBPF and Rust 1:41:52 Container Security and Runtime Enforcement with Tetragon 1:47:50 Using eBPF in system security 1:53:38 Applied eBPF for cross platform security research 2:09:39 Analysis of offensive capabailities of eBPF and implementation of a rootkit 2:34:00 Capture the Flag (CTF) 2:49:08 Falco's Discovery of the Modern eBPF World 3:03:02 Metalens: Live Programming and Visualizing eBPF 3:21:18 Peeking into the eBPF verifier 3:26:55 Fighting and overcoming the complexity limit 3:33:58 Building an oomkill-exporter powered by eBPF 3:39:48 Porting eBPF CO-RE to arm64 Leads to Fix the Kernel 3:45:00 The power of a self-describing kernel - How BTF can benefit applications 4:02:13 Cgroup Iter: A step toward container-oriented observability 4:17:11 BTFGen: one Step Closer to Truly Portable eBPF Programs 4:33:22 XRP: In-Kernel Storage Functions with eBPF 4:50:42 Closing
Building and oomkill-exporter by eBPF https://twitter.com/kfekete/status/1575150590358798337
Insights how to combine Prometheus metrics and eBPF - a question that I ask at the end of the Kube Simplify workshop, and Confidence with Chaos talks.
🎯 Release speed-run¶
🛡️ The Sec in Ops in Dev¶
CI/CD Caching visualized https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2022/09/12/a-visual-guide-to-gitlab-ci-caching/
⛅ Cloud Native¶
Stop messing with Kubernetes Finalizers https://martinheinz.dev/blog/74
The friendly community at Kube Simplify creates amazing free learning resources as live workshops to learn Kubernetes. I was more than happy to provide a workshop on "Kubernetes Observability" ... and exceeded time and content with diving into OpenTelemetry and Chaos Engineering in 3.5 hours. Check out the slides with exercises and project with solutions.
Container Days recordings:
- OpenTelemetry: The Vision, the Reality and How To Get Started - Dotan Horovits, Logz.io https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKidZH2iCtw
- Cracking Microservices Performance Issues with Distributed Tracing - Dotan Horovits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmmjIOwcqWA
- Distributed applications and Kubernetes - Matthias Haeussler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y2dLuDTeBs
- Kubernetes made simpler - Using and developing Kubernetes Operators - Corvin Schapöhler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtWCwGMqzao
🔍 The inner Dev¶
📈 Your next project could be ...¶
- Add pets to your VS Code using this extension. Use
cmd+shift+pon macOS to open the console, search for
pet codingto start a new session, and repeat to e.g. throw a ball.
📚 Tools and tips for your daily use¶
🎥 Events and CFPs¶
- Oct 12-13: Kubernetes Community Days Munich in Munich, Germany. Join my talk!
- Oct 24+25: KubeCon NA co-located events. I'll be at Open Observability day, and SecurityCon/GitOpsCon cheering to my team mate Dov Hershkovitch talking about JWT security in CI/CD.
- Oct 26-28: KubeCon NA in Detroit, Michigan. Join me there at the GitLab booth!
- Nov 08-09: PromCon EU in Munich, Germany
- Nov 10-11: All Day DevOps, virtual, Join my talk!
- Nov 16-17: Continuous Lifecycle / Container Conf in Mannheim, Germany. Join my talk!
- Nov 28 - Dec 2: AWS re:Invent. Join me there at the GitLab booth!
👋 CFPs due soon
- Apr 17-21: KubeCon EU 2023 in Amsterdam. CFP closes Nov 18.
Looking for more CfPs? Try CFP Land.
Thanks for reading! If you are viewing the website archive, make sure to subscribe to stay in the loop!
PS: If you want to share items for the next newsletter, please check out the contributing guide - tag me in tweet replies or send me a DM. Thanks!